Author Topic: Open Discussion topic ideas?  (Read 16604 times)

Edge

• Board Member
  • Public Access
    • View Profile
Open Discussion topic ideas?
« on: February 13, 2011, 06:09:16 pm »
I was interested in what people would like to have as potential topics for the Open Discussions that we hold at SoCo Lounge.  Our first discussion involved some thoughts on how to meet others in the lifestyle.  Our second involved a presenter that spoke about safety and prevention in the lifestyle.  The topics can be about any number of things.  I'd like to have a list of things that I know people would like to talk about.  Feel free to share 1 idea or 100 ideas.  The more ideas, the better our discussions can be!

A couple of topic ideas of my own:
  • How do you learn your limits of what you're willing to give/receive in a scene?
          This can include boundary definition, pushing the boundaries, how to push them without breaking them, etc.
  • What do you get out of
          the BDSM lifestyle?
          a BDSM relationship?
          a BDSM scene?

Feel free to add your own ideas or comment on the ones listed abvoe.  You're welcome to add onto the sub-topics as well.

Sass-e

• Public Access
    • View Profile
Re: Open Discussion topic ideas?
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2011, 11:13:42 pm »
I think it would be interesting to talk about:

What do you do when you realize that your personal role in the lifestyle is changing? How to stay honest with ones needs in the lifestyle, and feeling secure in change.

Valkyrie

• Public Access
    • View Profile
Open Discussion topic ideas?
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2011, 02:45:38 pm »
A few ideas that I would find interesting to discuss. 

1.  24/7 vs everything else and what that means.  For instance if your in a non 24/7 relationship where your dom is also your vanilla partner how do you know when they become "sir" or whatever it is you call them and when the are just "John" or "Jane".  On the same vein, protocols for relationships of that sort.

2.  Balancing multiple d/s relationships.

3.  The differences in heterosexual vs homosexual d/s relationships and play.

4.  Discussion of techniques for using various implements by people that have experience with them.

5.  Euphoria, sub drop and top drop.

Edge

• Board Member
  • Public Access
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2011, 01:06:22 am »
Sass-e and Valkyrie, I think you both have some interesting topic ideas.  Sass-e's and Val's #1 seems like they could tie in together easily.  Might make for a good discussion on Tuesday if that is what tickles everyone's fancy that night.  :)

If anyone else has topic ideas, we'd love to hear them.  They might not come up this Tuesday but we will reference this thread when finding new topics to discuss each time.

I hope to see you both on Tuesday.  :D
« Last Edit: February 22, 2011, 05:04:23 pm by Edge »

JTRex

• Public Access
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2011, 01:26:39 am »
Different sorts of dynamics always provides an interesting conversation.  Top/Bottom.  Daddy/Daughter.  1950's Household.  It's an especially interesting discussion if several people with different dynamics are actually involved in the discussion rather than just discussing the theory and what's gained by each side in each.

Edge

• Board Member
  • Public Access
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2011, 11:37:48 pm »
JTRex> Thanks for your input!  We try to talk about a variety of topics at the Open Discussions.  We've even had a presenter come and talk about safety in the lifestyle, and another possibly presenter in the future lined up.  I'm sure we can discuss these topics.  Best way to have that happen is to come and ask about them and offer input.  :)  I look forward to seeing you at some of our events.  Our next open event is our Raq'em, Thursday at Billiards on Broadway at 7pm.

Edge

Alliecatt

• Public Access
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2011, 07:40:16 am »
Another topic that I would like to put on the list for discussion is Protocols.  We tend to be very informal within our group, but that's not necessarily the case at other venues.   Also, if new people come in from more formal groups, let's be aware of what actions others might find offensive.

Allie

Edge

• Board Member
  • Public Access
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2011, 01:56:41 pm »
Was the protocol topic discussed at the June Open Discussion?  I can't remember if I was there or not.  Work keeps me too busy!

One I'd like to possibly talk about is finding out how people get into particular fetishes.  Do they see it and think oh wow?  Or is it a oh my...I couldn't ever do that...ever...and then your partner leads you there and you love it?  Just interesting how people find out what they like.

Does anyone have any other topic ideas for October's Open Discussion? 

Edge

• Board Member
  • Public Access
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2012, 11:23:27 pm »
We are coming up on the February Open Discussion.  If anyone has any particular topics they'd like to talk about, please post them here and we will bring them up.  I'm interested in knowing how people have dealt with changed dynamics - be they due to living situation, proximity to each other, having met someone versus just over the net.  It can be changes that are positive or negative.  Just curious how other people have processed them and adapted to them.

Any other topics are welcome as well!

Edge

• Board Member
  • Public Access
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2013, 01:30:31 am »
We are bringing back the Open Discussion!  Put your requested/suggested topics down here and we will use them for topics at our alternating month Open Discussions going forward.  The first one is this month on Wednesday, October 16th, from 7-9pm.  Still finalizing the location, but we will update the Open Discussion calendar event when it's set.